Sunday 2 January 2011

Making Marshmallows


There are some foods that we normally just assume need to be store bought.  It had never occurred to me, for example, to make marshmallows.  When we were making Christmas goodies, though, my husband had the inspired idea that we should try making them.  You can see the results.


We used a recipe we found online (click here for the recipe--we omitted the raspberries & white chocolate and added a little vanilla extract instead).  It took awhile to make them...for one thing, expect to have to beat them for an eternity.  Other than being a bit time consuming they weren't actually that difficult to make.


The results were perfect.  They looked like marshmallows.  We ended up with big, fluffy, perfectly textured, pure white marshmallows.  They were a big hit and our four-year-old absolutely devoured them.  It was also cold and snowy outside, and the marshmallows went perfectly in a cup of hot chocolate.

We gave away a lot of the home-made marshmallows along with jars of hot chocolate mix for Christmas.

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I too never thought about making my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even like marshmallows, but these look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a confession to make Summer--I don't really like marshmallows either. These were really fun to make together for Christmas though.

    ReplyDelete