Friday 4 September 2009

Harvest Ratatouille

As I was doing my grocery shopping at ASDA, I noticed something tucked away in the kitchenware aisle. White ceramic casserole dishes, with lids, for only £1. They're oven, dishwasher, microwave, and freezer safe. Obviously I bought one.

Later that afternoon, I went into the garden and was able pick lots of fresh vegetables. Inspired by the desire to use my new casserole dish, I made a ratatouille inspired dish (this is my version using what I had available from my garden--if you want an authentic French ratatouille, click here). I wanted something that was simple, fresh, seasonal, and flavoursome.

I chopped up one red onion, several small shallots, two cloves of garlic, one aubergine (eggplant), one yellow courgette (zuchinni), one green courgette, and a green bell pepper. I also sliced up a selection of runner and green beans from my garden. I like cooking with green tomatoes, so I added small green tomatoes (and left a group of then to roast on top of the dish). I added a tin of chopped tomatoes, and stirred everything up with a selection of fresh chopped herbs. Then I added a sprig of rosemary to the top. I cooked it with the lid on for about forty-five minutes, until everything seemed well cooked, and then I left it in the oven for a few minutes longer with the lid off.

To try it yourself, feel free to alter it slightly to include whatever you grow in your garden, or have in your fridge that needs using.

Serve with whatever type of carbohydrate takes your fancy. It tastes good served with brown rice, French bread (and a creamy cheese like Camembert), or can be served with pasta or even couscous or quinoa.

This meal is extremely healthy and full of flavour, so enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment